- A little bit of oil!
- 1/4-1/2 lbs of mild or hot sausage - Uncased!
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound kale, tough stems removed, leaves rinsed and shredded
- 3 cups of diced tomatoes. Fresh is best, canned works, too!
- A healthy pinch of salt
- A healthy pinch of pepper
- 2 small sized cans of white beans (great northern beans work, too)
First, in your new Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking the meat up with a fork for a few minutes, until it loses its raw color. Then, add a little more oil if needed and add the chopped onions. Let the onions cook down for a few minutes.
Next, add the garlic and kale to the pan and cook, stirring, until the kale wilts, which shouldn't be more than a few minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the kale is tender. Be patient here...Maybe 10-15 minutes.
Lastly stir the beans into the stew and cook until it's warm throughout (maybe 5 minutes). If a thicker sauce is what you're going for, mash up some of the beans with a fork!